Perhaps you think you’ve heard everything there is to be said about stress. Indeed, stress is so common in the U.S. that it causes three-quarters of us to experience physical and psychological issues on a regular basis. What might be surprising is that not many of us actually take measures to reduce stress. Try out these simple and quick ways to cut down on stress.
- Hug Someone You Love: Studies show that physical affection from a loved one can lower blood pressure. And simply knowing someone is there is sometimes enough to help you manage stress.
- Get Sunny: Have you ever noticed that you feel better just going outside and feeling the sun on your face? Sun is a powerful weapon against stress because it affects the body’s level of serotonin, an euphoric neurotransmitter. Boost the mood benefits by coupling your outside time with some exercise, as well.
- Pet An Animal: Unconditional love from a furry friend is one of the best stress relievers around.
- Talk it Out: Stress can occur from keeping your emotions in. Talk it through with a friend to help get things in perspective.
- Perform an Act of Kindness: That’s right, doing something nice for someone else will make you feel happier while reducing stress. Consider volunteering on a regular basis or simply look for opportunities throughout the day to practice random acts of kindness.