Will one more summer BBQ featuring mayonnaise-laden white potato salad put you (and your healthy intentions!) over the edge? Adapted from a Tufts University recipe, this is a colorful and healthy twist on the tired out summertime classic. It features sweet potatoes, a zesty citrus dressing and vitamin-rich spinach. The sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin C, which promote joint health. What’s more, even the seasonings have healthy benefits. Ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory properties and the cinnamon helps control blood sugar.
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 3/4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4 chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach (washed & dried)
- Place almonds in microwave-safe bowl and microwave at High 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly toasted. (Alternatively, spread almonds in small baking pan; toast in 350-degree oven 10 to 15 minutes.) Let cool.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or just until tender but still firm. Drain.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, whisk orange juice, lemon juice, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper in large bowl. Whisk in oil. Reserve 3 tablespoons of this dressing for spinach.
- Add hot sweet potatoes to dressing in bowl. Slice onions and add to sweet potatoes; toss gently with rubber spatula to mix. Toss spinach with reserved 3 tablespoons dressing in a large bowl. Mound spinach on 4 plates. Top with sweet potato salad and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve warm.
YIELD: 4 servings (3/4 cup sweet potato salad and 1 cup spinach salad).
PER SERVING: Calories: 210. Total fat: 9 grams. Saturated fat: 1 gram. Cholesterol: 0 milligrams. Sodium: 220 milligrams. Carbohydrate: 33 grams: Fiber: 5 grams. Sugars: 8 grams. Protein: 3 grams. Vitamin A: 350% DV. Vitamin C: 45% DV.