With life moving so fast these days, we all need a little boost—some energy giving foods—at some point so we can finish strong. A lack of energy can make you feel sluggish and tired. It’s an awful feeling and it prevents us from doing our best whether at work or at home.
It’s easy to forget that feelings of weariness and lethargy are often tied to what we eat. Some foods weigh us down and make us feel exhausted, while others perk us up and help us feel energized. So it’s important to know which foods to eat so you can be productive throughout any day.
Below, we list 5 of the biggies. Add these to your diet and you’ll feel more energy each day. Your mind will be sharper. Your body will perform better. These are energy giving foods that have been proven to energize you.
- Bananas: These are an excellent source of vitamin B6, along with potassium and carbohydrates. Lots of studies have been done, but they all conclude that eating a banana before any type of activity like cycling, running or swimming, will improve your performance. Most athletes eat bananas frequently.
- Sweet Potatoes: A medium sweet potato contains about 23 grams of carbs and 3.8 grams of fiber. Great, right? But it also contains 438 percent of your recommended daily allowance for Vitamin A and 28 percent of your recommended daily intake for manganese. The real secret here is that the combination of complex carbs and fiber causes your body to digest this food at a slower pace. That means you get a steady supply of energy. Manganese is one of those amazing supplements that helps to break down nutrients which produce energy.
- Apples: Ben Franklin said, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” He knew something important that many still don’t recognize. Apples are an important source of natural sugars and fiber. Just like sweet potatoes, they help your body break down the nutrients in foods more slowly so that you can enjoy a sustained energy release. One medium apple contains 19 grams of sugar, 25 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber. That’s a lot to pack into one small fruit, isn’t it?
- Goji Berries: These little gems have been used for centuries by ancient cultures in places like China. They offer so many amazing benefits. They’re packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They’re a good source of fiber. Some research suggests that the goji berry can help with mental alertness and decrease feelings of fatigue. You can enjoy them raw, mixed in yogurt or baked goods.
- Dark Chocolate: With a high cocoa content, dark chocolate has many great health benefits. It contains antioxidants and increases blood flow, resulting in improved delivery of oxygen to the muscles and brain. Many experts recommend eating some dark chocolate before a workout to get better results. This delicious food also contains some stimulatory compounds like caffeine and theobromine, which can enhance mood and energy levels.
Simply by adding these five foods to your diet each week, you can feel better and avoid that sensation of crashing in the afternoons that we’re all so familiar with. And how hard would it be to add an apple, sweet potato, banana, dark chocolate or goji berries to your diet? Those are all tasty and easy to eat. And they’ll provide you with so many great benefits, helping you to enjoy more energy for longer periods. These energy giving foods will leave you feeling alert, perky and able to take on any task.