There’s nothing like a serving of homemade lasagna. But do you have to put all your healthy eating intentions on hold to indulge in this comfort food favorite? Not a chance, thanks to a recipe we adapted from Prevention magazine. Tofu is the clever stand-in for meat in this dish and high fat cheese is kept to a minimum. Additionally, using no-boil noodles slashes this family favorite’s prep time. Throw together a healthy green salad and voilà … dinner is served!
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) no-salt-added basil-oregano-garlic diced tomatoes
- 1 pkg (12 oz) soft silken tofu
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles (4 oz)
- 1/4 c pesto sauce
- 4 c baby spinach
- 1 c (4 oz) shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- PREHEAT the oven to 375°F. Coat an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with cooking spray. Cook the tomatoes in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- PLACE a strainer over the sink or a bowl and crumble in the tofu, squeezing it dry of excess liquid. Set aside.
- SPREAD one-third of the tomatoes over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer ingredients in this order: 2 noodles, 2 tablespoons pesto, half the tofu, 2 cups spinach, 1/3 cup cheese, and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spread one-third of the tomatoes over the top. Repeat a second layer: 2 noodles, the remaining 2 tablespoons pesto, the remaining tofu, the remaining 2 cups spinach, 1/3 cup of the cheese, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place the remaining 2 noodles on top. Cover with the remaining tomatoes. Set the remaining 1/3 cup cheese aside.
- COVER the dish tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Carefully remove the foil and, with a spatula, gently press down the corners of the noodles to submerge in sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
Prep time: 15 minutes / Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Nutrition (per serving): 363 cal, 21 g pro, 38 g carb, 6 g fiber, 14.5 g fat, 5.3 g sat fat, 612 mg sodium